Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Fluid simulation, Atari 2600 programming

Fluid simulation update

I added more features to my fluid simulation. Follow the links to see movies:

I also submitted an abstract to GDC for 2008.

Atari 2600 Programming

I collect Atari games, consoles, controllers and other Atari-branded stuff from the 1970's and 1980's. I'm also beginning to program the 2600. Its CPU is a 6507 which has the same instruction set as the 6502 but has fewer address pins. Many computers from that era used the 6502 including other Atari consoles and computers (5200, 7800, 400, 800, etc.), Commodore computers and the original Nintendo (NES). It's the first CPU for which I learned assembly programming. The Atari retro development community is quite active and even now, around 30 years following its release, people continue to pioneer new ways to get more out of that console, e.g. higher image resolution. Each year at the Classic Gaming Expo people release several new games for the Atari 2600, and they usually sell out immediately.

I recently obtained a collection of EPROMs (which currently have Atari games burned onto them) and 2 modified Atari 2600 cartridges with ZIF sockets that fit these EPROMs. I put the chips into a conductive plastic container I got from Skycraft Surplus for $2. This gives the appearance I'm engaging in industrial espionage.

No comments: