Saturday, August 18, 2007

A new cohort arrives

Well, I was going to do a post where I talked all about Siggraph, but Jon beat me to the punch. After reading his post, I was glad he summarized the show for you and not me - mine would've been much shorter. Jon forgot to mention the girl at the booth next to us and the fact that he was always 5 minutes late in the morning, but I digress...

MasterPlan sure made great strides in a few weeks, when it went from tech demo to game. I have to hand it to the students - they really pulled a rabbit out of their hat. They waited until the end to do too much - a common thing for games being developed in the real world too. Games take a long time to get running when you don't start with a game engine, and then additional time after that to get fun - which means if you're not willing to go all out at the end, you end up shipping something that's not as fun as you might've planned. MasterPlan is by no means perfect, but I definitely had fun at Siggraph demoing it, which is always a good sign. I'm hoping that the students will take some time this semester to get the game running on a computer with less than 1.5GB of RAM for GDC, and maybe add a few more bells and whistles before calling it done.

Today was an exciting one at FIEA as we welcomed cohort 4 to their orientation. We're starting to get the hang of it, so we kind of knew exactly what to talk about, what kinds of questions to expect, and all that. It is also great to see excited new students ready to become the new "best cohort ever" at FIEA, and I am confident that this cohort will make us proud. The best thing we did this time around was to create a forum on our website for all the students to communicate with, which really helped them connect to find housing and other Orlando information from afar. These students just seemed more settled and acclimated than in the past, and that's what I attribute it to.

No comments: